Dear Your Health Plus Subscriber,
Thanks for choosing to receive our newsletter each month. This is the final issue of Your Health Plus and we’re excited to introduce you to MyLifeStages, an award-winning Sutter Health resource that helps you to reach your health goals.
It’s easy to sign up and MyLifeStages provides practical, personalized health information — classes and medical services, health trackers, interactive blogs and reliable health data.
Your Free Membership to MyLifeStages Includes:
- Health Risk Assessment – Created by Sutter Health doctors, the MyLifeStages health risk assessment can give you a personalized action plan for healthier living.
- Ask the Expert – Our doctors and practitioners answer readers’ questions.
- Health Library – From aging gracefully to weight management, here’s the information you need.
- Video Library – Watch videos on a variety of health topics featuring experts from across the Sutter Health network.
Respecting Your Privacy
You will not automatically be enrolled in MyLifeStages. You will receive one more email from Your Health Plus in mid-December, reminding you of the opportunity to sign-up with MyLifeStages. If you do nothing, you will receive no further email.
When you opt-in to MyLifeStages, we respect your privacy. The information you provide will only be used by Sutter Health to provide you with important health information and the membership services of MyLifeStages. We will never sell or share your membership information with any other company.
Join MyLifeStages Today
Click here to sign up for your free membership.
Yes, the holidays can be a challenge, says interventional cardiologist Thomas Quinn, M.D. But don’t buy in to the idea that sensible eating and exercise are a lost cause from Thanksgiving to New Year’s. For most folks, there are just a handful of winter days of celebration.
“When you eat and exercise thoughtfully 80 to 90 percent of the time, it’s fine to really enjoy yourself the other 10 percent,” says Sutter East Bay Medical Foundation’s Quinn, who sees patients in Oakland and Antioch. Read More about Healthier Holidays: Finding Balance Amid the Emotional Stress and Overindulgence
Imagine a room in your house is on fire and the alarm goes off, but instead of calling 911, you remove the batteries from the annoying alarm.
Patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) who take medication to ease heartburn are essentially shutting down their bodies’ alarm system, says Wilson S. Tsai, M.D., medical director of esophageal and thoracic surgery at Sutter Health’s Eden Medical Center.
“Drugs work great for symptom control, to decrease acidity in the stomach. But in many patients, they mask the real problem,” says Tsai. Read More about Beyond Heartburn: Addressing the Cause of GERD
Golf, family time, long walks with the dog: Hip and knee pain are not on your to-do list. And thanks to the variety of treatment options, osteoarthritis patients can stay active and maintain a high quality of life.
From ice and heat applications to arthroscopy to total joint replacement, well-informed patients choose not to become sedentary or to live with pain.
“These patients are more demanding in a good way,” says Benjamin Busfield, M.D., FAAOS, an orthopedic surgeon with Sutter East Bay Medical Foundation. “They demand quality lifestyles. “ Read More about Explore the Options: Living Well With Osteoarthritis
Preparing and sharing a festive meal is a timeless way to connect with loved ones. With a little kitchen wisdom you can create a potluck dish or a whole meal that’s delicious for those with a food intolerance or particular diet plan.
“We’re increasingly aware the food we eat affects our health and wellness,” says Stacy M. DeRosa, R.D., clinical dietitian-outpatient services, at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. “A healthful nutrition plan includes more plant-based foods, fewer processed items, and less added fat and sugar.”
1 medium to large head of cauliflower
1 to 2T vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic – chopped fine
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
Parmesan added after to taste. Guests can add when served.
Chives or parsley as garnish
*Can add 1 to 2 T cream cheese for a creamier potato if preferred
- Boil a large pot of water with a steamer attachment
- Clean and separate the cauliflower. Once water is boiling, steam cauliflower.
- Once cauliflower is soft (easily can poke a fork into – about 8 to 10 minutes) remove from heat.
- Add steamed cauliflower, garlic, salt and pepper to a food processor or bowl to “mash”. If you are using cream cheese – add at this point. As you mash/blend – add broth a little at a time to get desired consistency. Too much will cause your cauliflower to be too liquid.
- Season to taste as you go along.
- Garnish with chives or parsley.
- Best served warm.